Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Into the Wild Blue Yonder

Today I had my first class, which was 3 hours long. I feel like I would enjoy the class more if not for the ridiculous length. It was about forest sampling which, as my teacher philosophically described as "seeing how much forest is in the forest." There were six of us but apparently there's supposed to be more, around 9 or so. It's gonna be crazy odd how small the classes are here, but I think I'll like it. After class and a tasty lunch (I decided to go grocery shopping after realizing yesterday that I had no food, like at all, soooooo hungry) I wandered deep into my district to search for a.....library!! And I totally found one, though the section with English books is a little sparse. The library is really cool, it's on top of a tram station so getting to it is really easy.
One the way back I...may have gotten a little lost.
But fear not, because my erratic wanderings simple led me to find a thing of great awesomness, a marketplace. I know I shouldn't be that thrilled by a simple market, but it was really neat to see all the vendors. The theme was fruits and vegtables, cheese, fish, and chicken. There was also a few clothing/knick-knack stalls and some food vendors. One food stall even had a little patio area on top of it, very nifty. After walking up and down the stalls I finally worked up the courage to buy something (i.e talk to a native). The wasabi peanuts were ok, not as spicy as I thought they'd be, but tasty nevertheless. What really blew my mind, was this Turkish candy bar (most of the vendors were Turkish, I guess there's a high population in Vienna). Allow me to describe the glory. Take a typical candy bar, Snickers, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, and keep the chocolate covering, but replace the inside with a kind of coco creme littered with bits of hazelnuts, like tiny tasty land mines. Now my only question is how it is possible to live where this candy bar is readily accessable and not die of diabetes or explode from eating too many candy bars.

On my way back I got off at a few stations too early so I figured, meh, keep walking. I found a natural foods store (but everything was super expensive) and quite a few asian resturants. That's right, all resturants I have seen advertise only as asian, not chinese or anything like that, very odd.

Outside a store. The sign says "Dogs must wait here"

No comments:

Post a Comment