Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Welcome Days Part Two

So did you know that BOKU has two campuses, because I sure didn't. The other campus (home of food science, microbiology, and water management) is about 20 minutes away as opposed to 5 like the main campus. Since neither of those three things are really what I'm studying I decided to go to the food science because hey, food is always tasty. What I was not prepared for was the soul crushing realization that some of the tastiest foods arn't exactly what one would call real. Chocolate powder for example, does not smell delicious all on its own, they inject aroma. I was also reminded just how bad things like instant potatoes or even Nutella are for me as they require complicated robots to actually make them, and not love as I had thought previously. However, there is a bright side. As a class, yes an actual class, kids would try and distill whatever they could. The result, carrot schnapps.
Apparently the nose is a better drinking tool than the mouthAfter the campus tour we were all herded up and sent to the main part of the city for a tour. So now, I give you, a whole bunch of pictures that I can't really remember what they are.

Greek area (or at least it used to be)
My camera wasn't big enough to get the whole building, but the tower is pretty awesomeA pretty fountain complete with net to keep out bird nestsA famous clock This church was huuuuuuuuuuuuuugeThe McDonald's was so fancyI feel like the coffee and sunglasses offset the vibe
This is the town hall, I kid you not.
After our tour we dispersed and met again in the evening at an Austrian wine tavern. The food there was buffet style and mostly meat so I pretty much had some pasta and about 4 different kinds of potatoes (one might have been a radish, I'm not sure). The wine was actually pretty good, although I think a little stronger than normal.
Claudia (Bolivia), Gaetan (France), Jess, and Caro (Germany)
We weren't actually crazy booze fiends, half of those glasses had water
Using our clever map skills to figure out where everyone livesOrigami Fun
We stayed there, just talking and hanging out till about eleven. At this point Claudia and I scraped the wax off our arms (we got in a wax fight with each other, that poor candle, it never knew what was coming) and a group of us went to a party at the student union at BOKU. This wasn't as fun as it sounded like though, although there was Austrian ska music and the band had many many instruments (2 trumpets, 1 trombone, 1 tuba, 2 back-up singers, flute, electric violin, guitar, bass, keyboard) so then we went home for sleepy-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment