Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Winter Times

Though Vienna is still lacking in snow, it has finally turned cold, making it feel like it's actually winter. In the spirit of this bone chilling cold, I will now treat you to a myriad of photos detailing the lovely winter adventures I have been embarking upon.
Once a week, all the Boku exchange students gather at a local pub to have fun times and catch up after half a week of hectic schooling (I have no idea what's going on with this underline, I can't stop it!!!). The past week, we decided to skip out on the warmth provided by Tunnel (the pub) to venture to a skating rink, where the majority of us could
fall on our asses. Surprisingly, it was pretty cheap, unlike everything else in Vienna, and we spent about 3 hours there. I do feel as though I shamed my heritage because honestly, I suck at skating and by the end of the evening my ankles were killing me. Still, I did have the advantage over the Spaniards, but, oddly enough, one of the Australians was freaking amazing! Apparently she plays tons of street hockey so was a wiz on wheels.
The penguins were to help beginning skaters



Next up, CHRISTMAS MARKETS!!!!
Unless the name didn't give it away, the main things sold during these markets are Christmas-y things, such as ornaments, candles, and toys. There's also nifty glass work or winter apparel (like mittens and hats). Really the contents of the stands can be pretty random, depending on which Christmas market one goes to. However, there is one thing in common. All the markets have at least one stand where punch or, the more popular, gluhwein (mulled wine) is sold. And of course, there's also food, which is also quite varied. But I think my personal favorite is this wondrous creation. What we have here, is a waffle with chocolate, nuts, and powdered sugar. Austrians are kind of against plastic utensils, so I didn't get a fork, which resulted in me getting chocolate all over my hands, a fate that I was quite resigned to.
These things start around the middle of November and are friggin' everywhere, especially in the 1st district. There's even a small one in the park near my university which has a stand where the guy does his glassblowing work where it can be viewed by all. Super awesome.

Today, Rebecca and I went to check out the market at Schönbrunn, mostly because I wanted to pick up a gift for my host family since they're letting me crash with them when I come visit. Like I said, the stands can vary as to what they contain, but there were a few selling candles so I bought a beeswax candle (Austrians love their beeswax :-P) and a nice picture frame.
I didn't buy anything from here, but the figurines looked neat.

Wandering through the market with Rebecca (she's the one with the black jacket)

What also exists during the wintertime are maroni stands, which serve chestnuts (maroni), kartofelpuffers (like hash browns), slices of potatoes, and langos. I had no idea what a langos was since there's no real translation into English, but I was wandering about the city and decided to grab one since I hungered like no other. To begin with, a langos is a huuuuge piece of fried bread with one glorious addition. As I was ordering the woman asked me something but I didn't quite grab the meaning so I just nodded and smiled (my go to move when I don't understand what the person is saying). Turns out she was asking if I wanted garlic butter, which increased the deliciousness of this food tenfold.
Behold! I wasn't able to resist a nibble before I too the pic.
And to everyone who celebrates, Happy Hanukkah!!! So far I've made latkes twice, but the first time I didn't use enough oil so they didn't cook all the way. The second time was much better though, and I also bought falafals and fried them in oil as anything fried in oil is the true Hanukkah fashion.
Failure, delicious failure

And in the spirit of Hanukkah, I went on a journey the past week to an area that's supposed to have a few Jewish stores. The object of my hunt was matzo meal but.....I may have bought...more things. The first store I went to, had matzo meal so I just bought it and got out but, there was another store, a store of magic and happiness known as Kosherland!! Here I discovered kishke mix, gelt (chocolate for Hanukkah), a dreidle, and.....dill pickles!!! For those who haven't heard me complain, proper pickles are a rare commodity in Europe and every time I would try one would be a sweet sweet lie. The jar is currently sitting on my shelf and I plan to open it upon my return to Vienna. However, this may lead to a sodium overdose but even if that happens, I go out happy. :-DOnce I have more free time, the hunt for a Jewish bakery will commence and I will feast upon tasty challah.

No comments:

Post a Comment